We’re better together!
Alignment is a big deal in all organizations, whether it’s a family, a business or a church. There is power when everyone is working towards the same objective. When even one individual is not, it creates problems.
This is seen clearly in Paul’s letter to Corinth:
“Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world…You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other…When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world? After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose.” (1 Corinthians 3:1–9, NLT)
Paul says that when we are out of alignment with one another, three things happen: it stunts our spiritual growth and it creates conflict and confusion. But when we work together, God joins in!
How do you align the ministries of the church?
To align the ministries of the church you must align the ministers. In order for the church to be aligned, every person serving in the church must know 3 things:
1. Everyone knows the WHOLE.
That means that every volunteer knows why we exist and what we value.
At ORBC we exist to:
- COMMUNICATE hope and healing through Jesus Christ
- CONNECT people into the church family
- GROW people to Christ-like maturity
- EQUIP them to invest their life in what matters for eternity, and
- MOBILIZE them to impact the world
- to the glory of God!
What are our values?
- LOVE: We build bridges of love into our community that lead into the church
- INVITATIONAL EVANGELISM: We reach people with powerful & relevant weekend services
- COMMITMENT: We grow people through teaching the Bible & challenging them to applying it one step at a time
- RELATIONSHIPS: We build authentic community through small groups and ministry teams
- SERVICE: We empower volunteers to serve faithfully, selflessly, and humbly
2. Everyone knows the GOAL.
The second thing every volunteer must know relates to ACTIVITIES. Every activity or ministry of the church should be be feeding the whole and have a goal. For example, the largest activity of the church is our weekend service.
So, what is the goal for the weekend?
Our goal for the weekend service is that guests are WOWED and members are MOVED.
How do we measure that?
The win for the weekend is when guests RETURN and members TAKE STEPS.
Every volunteer deserves to be crystal clear on exactly why we’re here!
3. Everyone knows their ROLE.
The third key to alignment is when every volunteer knows where they fit. For any ministry to be successful, it must have the right players in the right position.
How can I know when I’m serving in my best role?
Someone is in their sweet spot when three things align:
- PASSION: they are serving in a ministry that they are passionate about
- PERSONALITY: they are serving in a position that best matches their temperament
- PROFICIENCY: they have the skills and training necessary to do their job well
When a volunteer knows their role in the whole and how they can help their team reach the goal, YOU HAVE ALIGNMENT!
And when we are aligned with God’s purposes, WATCH OUT!!!
“I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.” (1 Corinthians 1:10, NLT)